Planning to crack CLAT 2021? Let’s check the Eligibility, Syllabus, Pattern, and Registration Process before you kick off your preparation for the CLAT 2021 entrance exam.
If you want to choose law as a career, the CLAT exam opens the door of a successful future.
This national-level law entrance exam is conducted every year by the consortium of the National Law Universities (NLU) on a rotation basis. For the 10+2 pass students, the CLAT exam is a great option. After being successful in the CLAT exam, you are eligible to enrol in undergraduate law courses.
- CLAT 2021 Entrance Exam: Pattern, Eligibility, Registration and Syllabus
- CLAT 2021 Entrance Exam Pattern
- CLAT 2021 Entrance Exam Eligibility
- Process for CLAT 2021 Entrance Exam Registration
- Important Instruction For CLAT Registration and Application Filling
- Documents to be Uploaded during CLAT Registration
- What is CLAT Registration Fee?
- CLAT 2021 Exam Syllabus (for UG Course)
- Section Wise CLAT UG Entrance Exam Syllabus
- Important Dates For CLAT 2021 Entrance Exam
- Best Books For CLAT 2021 Entrance Exam
CLAT 2021 Entrance Exam: Pattern, Eligibility, Registration and Syllabus
Before you start your preparation for CLAT 2021, check your eligibility, the exam syllabus, the question pattern, and the registration process.
Recently, the Consortium of NLU announced some changes in the CLAT entrance exam pattern. These changes are applicable from CLAT 2020 onwards. Since you are planning to appear in CLAT 2021 entrance exam, it is important for you to know the revised pattern, eligibility, and syllabus.
CLAT 2021 Entrance Exam Pattern
Recent Changes Made in The CLAT Entrance Exam Pattern
The idea of the CLAT paper is to evaluate the candidate’s aptitude level and not the memory. Hence, the Consortium of NLU has suggested below changes in the CLAT entrance exam pattern-
- The number of questions in CLAT UG has been reduced from 200 to 150
- As per the revised pattern, all the questions will be comprehension based.
- The questions of quantitative analysis will be based on 10th standard mathematics content
- Questions will be set keeping the 12th standard in mind
Other important thing that students should be aware of regarding CLAT exam pattern-
- Time Duration of CLAT exam– 2 hours.
- The medium of the CLAT exam– English.
- Marking Scheme of the CLAT exam– There will be negative marking for the wrong answer. Every correct answer will get 1 mark, while 0.25 marks will be deducted for every wrong answer.
- Type of Questions in CLAT exam – Objective type
- The number of questions in the CLAT exam– 150
Students must note that till 2019, the CLAT exam has been conducted in pen-and-paper based mode. However, in the current COVID situation, the CLAT 2020 exam will be conducted in computer-based, mode. There are high chances now the CLAT exam will be conducted in a computer-based mode only.
CLAT 2021 Entrance Exam Eligibility
- No age limit for the CLAT UG course.
- 45% marks or its equivalent grade in 10+2 or equivalent exam for the students from General, OBC, PWD, NRI, PIO, and OCI categories
- Appearing students of 10+2 or equivalent exam are also eligible for CLAT registration. However, such students are required to produce evidence of their passing the qualifying examination at the time of admission.
- In the situation of a tie in CLAT entrance exam marks, the following process is followed-
- Student scoring higher marks in legal aptitude in the CLAT exam;
- The student having a higher age
- By computerised draw of lots.
Process for CLAT 2021 Entrance Exam Registration
Important Instruction For CLAT Registration and Application Filling
- The CLAT 2021 online registration will start in early January 2021, will be open till the end of March 2021.
- Online registration will be allowed only through the official CLAT official website www. consortiumofnlus.ac.in
- You will have to register at the CLAT Official Website using your personal mobile number and e-mail Id.
- An OTP based verification process will be done to complete the CLAT registration.
- Once your registration verification is done, you can log in using your mobile number and the password you provided at the time of registration.
- Now you need to carefully fill the CLAT application form. Be extra cautious while filling date of birth, qualification detail, and Name.
- Kindly note that you can not make any change once you submit the CLAT application form.
- During the online application, you also have to give your preference order of 22 NLUs
While filling up the CLAT Application Form, read the instructions carefully, and furnish correct and authentic information. In case the information provided is found to be false or incorrect at any stage, the application stands cancelled with immediate effect. In the worst situation, you can even be disqualified for further admission to the NLUs by the CLAT Consortium Office.
Documents to be Uploaded during CLAT Registration
CLAT registration is allowed only through online mode. You also need to upload a few documents. Here is the list of those documents-
- Your passport size photograph with white background and front-facing pose.
- Your digital signature. For this, you can sign on a white paper and take the scanned image of the same. Before uploading, crop the signature and compress to the file size.
- If you are applying under any reserved category, you need to upload the relevant certificate issued by the competent authority.
- It is mandatory that you upload all the documents in PDF format only.
You have to ensure that the original copies of all the documents are available at the time of admission.
What is CLAT Registration Fee?
- For the students belonging to General, OBC, PWD, NRI, PIO, and OCI categories: Rs.4,000/-
- For the students belonging to SC, ST, and BPL categories: Rs.3,500/-
- Cost of previous year’s question paper: Rs.500/-
The CLAT Registration fee is acceptable only through online mode. This fee is non-refundable.
CLAT 2021 Exam Syllabus (for UG Course)
The design of the CLAT syllabus for the UG entrance exam is more towards judging the legal aptitude and skills rather than prior knowledge. The total duration of the CLAT exam for the UG entrance exam is 2 hours. A total number of 150 multiple choice questions are there in the CLAT entrance exam. Each correct answer gets 1 mark while there is a wrong answer deducts 0.25 marks.
The 150 questions of the CLAT entrance test have 5 subjects. As per the CLAT official website, 5 sections comprise the 150 questions.
|Section||Approximate Number of Questions||Weightage|
|English Language||28-32 questions||20% of the question paper|
|Current Affairs and General Knowledge||35-39 questions||25% of the question paper|
|Legal Reasoning||35-39 questions||25% of the question paper|
|Logical Reasoning||28-32 questions||20% of the question paper|
|Quantitative Techniques||13-17 questions||10% of the question paper|
Section Wise CLAT UG Entrance Exam Syllabus
1- CLAT Syllabus for English Language
- The English Language Section of the CLAT entrance exam contains questions based on the passages.
- These passages will be of class 12th standard, derived from contemporary or historically significant fiction.
- Each passage will be around 450 words each that can be read in 5 to 7 minutes.
- Based on these passages multiple-choice questions will be asked to evaluate your comprehension and language skills.
- The question will be framed around the passage to judge your ability to:
- Read and comprehend the main point discussed in the passage
- Understand and explain the viewpoint and any arguments set out in the passage;
- Draw inferences and conclusions
- Summarise the passage
- Compare and contrast the different arguments or viewpoints.
- Check your vocabulary based on the various words and phrases used in the passage
2- CLAT Syllabus for Current Affairs & General Knowledge
- This section of the CLAT entrance exam will also have passage-based questions.
- The passage will be up to 450 words which should take 5 to 7 minutes of reading.
- The content of the passage could be derived from the news articles, fiction, or journalistic sources.
- Based on the information and incidence provided in the passage, the questions will be designed to judge your legal aptitude and knowledge.
- Every passage will have some multiple-choice questions. These questions evaluate your knowledge and understanding of current affairs and general knowledge. The scope of the questions asked in this section include:
- Contemporary events of significance from India and the world
- Arts and culture
- International affairs; and
- Historical events of continuing significance
3- CLAT Syllabus for Legal Reasoning
- In this section of the CLAT entrance exam, the passages have legal flavors.
- The content of the passages is based on factual situations or scenarios covering legal matters, public policy questions, or moral philosophical inquiries.
- The passage will be of around 450 words each.
- You need to read the complete passages to understand and answer the questions. Having a general awareness of legal and moral issues is helpful in understanding and addressing the given fact scenario.
- The questions that will be based on the given passages will require you to:
- Establish and explain the principles and rules set out in the passage
- Use such principles and rule to various fact situations
- Understand how changes to the rules or principles may impact on various fact situations.
4- CLAT Syllabus for Logical Reasoning
- This section of the CLAT exam 2021 for UG courses will have a series of short passages.
- The number of words in these passages would be about 300 each.
- Every passage will have one or more than one multiple-choice questions to be answered.
- The expectations from you while answering these question are:
- Read and identify the arguments set out in the passage, its premises, and conclusions
- Patterns analyzing, conclusions assess on particular premises or evidence
- Apply the concluded outcome of passage to new situations
- Relationships and analogies
- Identify contradictions and equivalence and assess the effectiveness of arguments.
5- CLAT Syllabus for Quantitative Techniques
- The basis of the Quantitative Techniques questions of the CLAT UG Exam is class 10th standard mathematics.
- The questions of this section will be followed by passages that can also have content with below details
- Short sets of facts or propositions
- Textual, pictorial, or diagrammatic representations of numerical information
- Based on the information provided in the passages (either in the form of a graph, data, or any other form) you will be required to apply mathematics to derive the required information.
- The quantitative technique question of the CLAT exam will require you to:
- Use the information provided in the passages and basis that derive the required mathematical outcome.
- You need to use various mathematical formulas related to the 10th standard. You may have to apply your knowledge related to Ratios and Proportions, Basic Algebra, Mensuration, and Statistical Estimation.
Important Dates For CLAT 2021 Entrance Exam
Based on the previous year’s exam dates, the exam calendar for CLAT 2021 Entrance Exam is expected as per below:
|CLAT 2021 Registration Start Date||2nd Week of January 2021|
|CLAT 2021 Registration Close Date||2nd Week of April 2021|
|Admit Card Release Date for CLAT 2021 Exam||2nd Week of May 2021|
|CLAT 2021 Entrance Exam Date||Last Sunday of May 2021|
|CLAT 2021 Result Date||3rd Week of June 2021|
Best Books For CLAT 2021 Entrance Exam
By now we have understood the question pattern and syllabus of the CLAT entrance exam. So, if you are aspired to write CLAT 2021 exam, you should start your preparation now.
For Preparing the CLAT exam in the right manner, it is important to choose the right set of books. As per the CLAT exam pattern, questions are divided across five sections. You need to ensure that your preparation for the CLAT exam covers all the subjects.
To help you in CLAT 2021 preparation, we suggest some of the best books.
If you honestly start your preparation using these books, you will certainly be able to crack CLAT 2021 entrance exam.
Subject Wise Best Books For CLAT 2021 Exam Preparation
Best Books For CLAT 2021 English Language
Word Power Made Easy
By Norman Lewis
All times great book to improve your vocabulary skills
Objective General English
By Dr. R S Aggarwal
Quite a helpful book for competitive exam preparation
Tips & Techniques in English
By Disha Experts
Great book to improve your basics, available at a very reasonable price
By Dr. Rashmi Singh
Quite a handy book if you want to improve your grammar knowledge.
Best Books For CLAT Exam 2021 Quantitative Techniques
Mathematics Textbook for Class 10
A must go through book for every CLAT aspirants
Shortcuts in Quantitative Aptitude
by Disha Experts
Value for money with shortcuts and tricks to solve many problem
Maths 30 Days Wonder
by S Chand
Very helpful book for CLAT Entrance Exam preparation.
Fast Track Objective Arithmetic
The books covers everything that you need for CLAT exam readiness.
Best Books For CLAT Exam 2021 Current Affairs and GK
By Mammen Mathew
Excellent book for general knowlege that every student should read
Useful book for general knowledge updates
Best Books For CLAT Exam 2021 Legal Reasoning
Legal Awareness and Logical Reasoning
by A P Bhardwaj
A must to have book. It has a very comprehensive coverage with enhance pedagogy.
Legal Aptitude & Reasoning
by Disha Experts
Books has been designed in line with the CLAT syllabus with lot of MCQs to practice.
CLAT Exam Guide
The legal aptitude portion of the book is quite useful for CLAT exam preparation.
The Constitution of India: Bare Act with Short Notes
by A R Khan
A handy book for the CLAT preparation.
Best Books For CLAT 2021 Logical Reasoning
A Modern Approach to Logical Reasoning
By R S Aggarwal
A good book that serves the purpose and gives a clear understanding of logical reasoning.
Shortcuts in Reasoning
By Disha Experts
This book helpd you to learn the various tips and tricks required to crack the Reasoning section.
Before We Conclude
Though we have taken the utmost care in providing the information in this article, you are also advised to regularly visit the official website of CLAT.