Perhaps one of the most important heath device that every home should have in this new way of living is a fingertip pulse oximeter.
While the new way of living during COVID 19 is going to be the normal way of living, we need to be extra careful with our health. Any symptom that could put us in deep trouble needs to be monitored very closely. Here comes the role of home pulse oximeter which is a small device that uses the infra rays to measure the oxygen level in the blood within a few seconds. Of late, this device is much in the news as it works as a protective shield from the corona.
What is a Fingertip Pulse Oximeter?
A pulse oximeter is not a new invention. This device is already used by those who have lung diseases like asthma. It is a small device that clips onto the finger to provide a reading of oxygen saturation in blood within a few seconds. For people suffering from asthma, home pulse oximeters are to self-monitor the oxygen saturation levels as part of a personalized asthma action plan. Apart from the oxygen saturation level, pulse oximeter also provides a heart rate measurement. It is important to know the normal ranges for heart rate and oxygen saturation level for an average adult.
How a Fingertip Pulse Oximeter Provides a Shield from Corona?
The COVID 19 virus affects the upper respiratory system which includes nose, sinuses, and throat. It starts with flu-like symptoms and slowly affects most of the respiratory systems. In such a situation, when the oxygen level of the body starts going down, patients can check their oxygen level using pulse oximeter at home. Pulse oximeter does not detect whether one has a corona or not, but it helps in early diagnosis. With the help of pulse oximeter, one can know if the patient needs to go to the hospital or not. An oxygen level going below 95 percent is the first alert that the person has some problem in the lungs. If the oxygen level goes below 92 per cent means that there is a matter of concern and the person needs to be taken to a hospital.
Considering the current situation of the epidemic, the importance of fingertip pulse oximeter cannot be ignored.
10 Best Pulse Oximeter devices for Home Use in India: Review and Buying Guide
A variety of pulse oximeter devices are available in the market. A good quality device comes between a wide range of 2000 to 5000 rupees. But, this price is nothing in comparison to the benefit you get from this device. In the new way of leaving, this is a must to have health devices in every home.
Here are the 10 best fingertip pulse oximeter devices available online for home use.
One of the highest-selling and best-rated pulse oximeter from Dr. Trust is ideal for home use. This easy to operate device provides quick and accurate pulse rate and oxygen saturation level.
This multi-featured device not only measures your SpO2 but also provides the readings of Lung Rate/min, Pulse Rate, and Pulse Intensity along with a graph.
It has a bright and highly advanced multi-directional OLED display. The large size of the display and large font makes it comfortable to read the measurements easily. The display can also be flipped 90 degrees to any orientation. This device shows a real-time measurement within 6 seconds and shuts down automatically once it is removed from the finger.
Overall, this feature-rich pulse oximeter from Dr. Trust is a perfect health partner for every home.
Pros and Cons of Dr Trust Professional Pulse Oximeter
- A feature-rich health measurement device
- 86% of the users are highly satisfied, rated above 4 out of 5.
- Beautiful, large and clear OLED display
- Trusted and widely used by medical professionals worldwide
- Easy to operate with one button
- Rotatable multi-directional display
- Alarm setting as per convenience
- Meeting USFDA and CE international standards
- On-screen battery level indicator
- The build quality of the device needs a bit of improvement.
- A more detailed and step-by-step user manual can make it even convenient for 1st time user.
- Price is a bit on the higher side.
Dr. Trust pulse oximeter is the best and highly reliable health tracking device for home, clinic, sports and aviation use.
The PX701 pulse oximeter from Newnik is another great device that can be used easily at home. The device is capable to provide you instant readings of your SpO2, pulse rate(PR) and pulse strength(PI), Plethysmogram and displays them on a large OLED screen.
This device is equipped with one of the latest plethysmograph waveform technology to provide accurate pulse strength. It has been manufactured following the clinical trials and evaluation under CE and FDA standards. With all the required features and quality standard, the PX701 pulse oximeter is certainly a health partner you can trust on.
Though this pulse oximeter is ideal for an individual with respiratory issues, mountain climbers, sports enthusiasts, aviators and patients recovering from a recent illness, in this new way of living it should be a part of every home.
Pros and Cons of Newnik PX701 Pulse Oximeter
- 70% of the users are highly satisfied and have rated 5 out of 5 to this home pulse oximeter.
- Dual colour OLED screen
- Auto Power On & Off on inserting and removing the finger
- Four directions rotation of display making it easier to take measurements
- Pre-set alarm according to standard reading of SpO2/PR. The alarm rings if the measurement falls below or exceeds the lower/upper range.
- Meets international quality standards in accuracy and reliability.
- Efficiency and effectiveness maintained as per CE and FDA standards
- The low battery indicator on the screen
- No adverse observation for this device.
Newnik PX701 has all the good features and functionality needed in an advanced Pulse Oximeter.
Also Read: Best Low Budget Fitness Tracker Bands
MEDITIVE Pulse Oximeter is a good option to buy a functionality-rich device in the current situation of a pandemic. The functionality that this handy device provides is- Blood oxygen (SPO2 value), Pulse Rate (PR value), Blood oxygen bar graph, pulse waveform graph, Perfusion Index (PI), and Respiratory Rate (RR). Just clip this device to your fingertip and press the operating button, and then wait for 5 to 8 seconds. The device will provide you with an accurate reading of your SpO2 levels and pulse rate. Designed for doctors, home and outdoor use Meditive pulse oximeter is a made in India product. The device is handy for detecting vital respiratory signs.
Pros and Cons of MEDITIVE Fingertip Pulse Oximeter
- One of the top-selling pulse oximeter for home use.
- 84% of the users have given a thumbs up with a high rating and recommendation for this product.
- Made in India device
- 6 display modes
- Good battery life lasts up to 2 to 3 months even after regular uses.
- The screen can be rotated to any of the 4 directions allows you to view your results from any direction
- Accommodate all finger sizes from kids above four years old to adults
- It displays SpO2 levels, Pulse Rate, Perfusion Index, Respiratory Rate within seconds
- The credibility of CE and FDA standards
- Overall a good value for the money
- Build quality needs a bit improvement.
- Sound alarm missing.
Everything is good except the build quality and the missing alarm.
Pros and Cons of Choicemmed MD300C2D Pulse Oximeter
- A handy device for home and outdoor use.
- One year replacement warranty.
- Auto power-off feature when not in use.
- On-screen low battery indicator.
- SpO2 and pulse rate indicator.
- Made in China product.
- The battery compartment design is poor.
- Not a value for the money as this device provides a very limited feature.
A typical made in China product. Better to avoid.
This pulse oximeter from BPL Medical Technologies is a good choice for home and outdoor use. It is quite accurate in measuring the blood oxygen levels, pulse rate and provides perfusion index (pi )graph. The device comes with an OLED screen and big font display with adjustable brightness feature. While using this oximeter, it alerts the user with a user-configured alarm function in case of any abnormal measurements. The device gets auto power off when not in use.
Pros and Cons of BPL Smart Oxy Finger Tip Pulse Oximeter
- Bright OLED display with 5 different brightness setting.
- Large and bold font.
- User configured an alarm to alert the user in case of any abnormality in measurement.
- Four directional screen display- making it easy to use.
- The device comes with a pouch and lanyard making it convenient to keep and carry.
- 2 years warranty
The product is originally made in PR China which BPL is selling under their name.
A Chinese product with Indian branding. Good thing is 2 years of warranty.
This product manufactured in India. It has an OLED display that shows the measurement of Oxygen Saturation, Pulse Rate (SpO2), Perfusion Index and Respiratory Rate. The product comes with a 6-month warranty. It is available at a competitive cost and the accuracy of measurement is also good.
Pros and Cons of Sahyog Wellness Fingertip Pulse Oximeter
- It’s a simple low-cost device manufactured in India.
- Measurement accuracy is good.
- OLED display that simultaneous displays testing value and plethysmogram.
- Automatic standby.
- No alert feature available.
- OLED screen size is quite small
- Not of international standard
- Very limited details are available about this product.
Made in India but lacking the standard, quality and feature. Avoid it.
Though this product is made in China, people in general who have used this have given a satisfactory feedback. Compare to other pulse oximeters this device is not very expensive. It works efficiently and accurately in measuring oxygen saturation, SpO2, and heart rate. Arcatron Smart Care Pulse Oximeter has a LED display that gives a clear result, good for home use.
Pros and Cons of Arcatron Smart Care Pulse Oximeter
- Single Button Operation
- Smart Auto switch-off function
- Rotatable multi-directional display for easy use
- Good build and finish quality
- 79% satisfied customer who rated it 4 and above out of 5
- It’s a made in China product
- No alert feature available in case of abnormality in measurement
Arcatron Smart Care Pulse Oximeter is good quality device with satisfied users.
Hesley Pulse Oximeter is also one of the highly admired home devices that comes with good quality and strong applicability. The device takes around 10 seconds to measures the SpO2 (Blood Oxygen Saturation level) and pulse rate accurately.
It has a large OLED display that clearly shows SpO2, pulse rate, Pulse rate bar graph and Pulse rate waveform. It comes with a auto power-off feature when no signal is in the product within 5 seconds. Its large and rotatable multi-directional display allows viewing measurement from any direction.
This pulse oximeter is a perfect choice for on-the-spot SpO2 and Pulse Rate testing. Its lightweight and small size make it convenient to easily carried in a pocket. The Hesley Pulse Oximeter is ideal to check of blood oxygen saturation level at home, sports or during aviation.
Pros and Cons of Hesley Pulse Oximeter
- Suitable for all age groups
- Auto 4 direction gravity Display
- Large digital OLED display
- Measures the SpO2 (Blood Oxygen
- Saturation level) and pulse rate accurately
- Low battery consumption
- 80% of the users have rated it 4 and above out of 5.
- No alert feature available in case of abnormality in measurement
Hesley Pulse Oximeter is worth buying.
You May Like : Best Luxury Smartwatch for Stylish People
AmbiTech Pulse Oximeter is a feature-loaded made in India device. It is capable to accurately measure the SpO2, pulse rate, and perfusion index. Al these measurements are shown on the two-directional bright OLED display. The device comes with a one-year manufacturer warranty. It has a long battery life with a battery indicator on the screen.
Pros and Cons of AmbiTech Fingertip Pulse Oximeter
- Made in India device
- Comfortable design, lightweight, and portable.
- Auto shutdown after 10 seconds if there is no signal
- Almost accurate in measuring SpO2, pulse rate, and perfusion index
- High Brightness OLEDs display with adjustable display
- 70% of the users have given a thumbs up to this device with a rating of 4 and above.
- Need to get certified with international quality standards.
- No alert feature in case of abnormality in measurement.
A decent made in India product.
SMARTCARE Fingertip Pulse Oximeter is another Indian product which has been admired by the users. This device has multiple good features which are making it a useful buy. It accurately determines the Blood Oxygen Saturation Levels, Pulse Rate, and Pulse Strength. It comes with two colour OLED display and adjustable alarm. The device turns off automatically when not in use.
Pros and Cons of SMARTCARE Fingertip Pulse Oximeter
- Made in India device
- Cost-effective and accurate measurement
- Adjustable alarm with a high and low limit
- Good battery life- up to 20 hours on regular use.
- Dual colour OLED display with 2 direction rotatable screen as per need
- Low perfusion and Low voltage indicator.
- Automatic power off when not in use.
- Alarm lamp display and heart rate pulse synchronisation
- No negative observation as such except the need of international standard certification
Made in India, a perfect pulse oximeter that one can buy- recommended based on its features and users review.
Buying Guide to Select the Best Pulse Oximeter for Home Use
While there are plenty of pulse oximeter options available, it is important to ensure that you buy the right one for your home use. A pulse oximeter is a small device that provides some critical reading related to your blood oxygen saturation and heart rate it is suggested to take the utmost care of a few things before you buy it.
1. Perfection of Measurement
The most important thing that you need to ensure is the accuracy of the measurement by the device. Almost all the devices claim to provide perfection level of ±2%. There are some international standards that provide a certificate to these devices after fulfilling all parameters.
It is advised to go for good brands who are established player in healthcare device manufacturing.
2. Display- Brightness, Readability and Multi-direction screen display
There are multiple display options available in pulse oximeters. Choose the one that has a big and bright display screen. Also, check that the font used on the display is easily readable. The multi-direction rotatable display is also a good option.
3. Trusted Brand
Go for the brand that has proven record of manufacturing healthcare devices. Recently we see a lot of new players have started manufacturing pulse oximeters in view of the increased demand after covid19.
It is suggested to avoid the product of such companies as they may not meet the perfection and quality standard in the absence of sufficient experience and expertise.
A pulse oximeter is a small and handy device which many times you will be carrying in your pocket. It is good to buy a device that is water-resistance so that it can withstand the accidental splash of water.
5. Alert System
Good quality pulse oximeters are equipped with an alarm to make you alert in case of any abnormality in the measurement of your SpO2 level or hear rate. It is advised to buy such devices.
6. Response Time in Providing Measurement
Normal time to get the SpO2 level and heart rate displayed on the oximeter screen is between 5 to 10 seconds. Make sure to check this before you buy.
7. Auto Power-on and off feature
Devices that are coming in the market mostly have this feature. The moment you clip the device in your finger it gets activated and while not being used for 5 to 10 seconds it will automatically power off. Check the presence of this feature in the pulse oximeter device that you want to buy for your home or outdoor use.
8. Comfortable for all finger size
If you are buying a pulse oximeter for home use, make sure that it is suitable for all age groups from a kid to an older person.
9. Warranty period
Almost every device comes with a warranty period. You need to ensure the duration of the warranty period and term & conditions for replacement or repair.
Pulse oximeters are available in a wide price range. It depends upon the purpose you want to but this. Since you are buying it for your home use, it is good to go for the basic pulse oximeter that can fulfil your need.
Things to be Taken Care While Using Pulse Oximeter
A pulse oximeter clip onto your finger to provides a reading of oxygen saturation of the blood. To calculate this reading, it transmits wavelengths of light which is received by a sensor on the other side that measures how much light passes through. Hence it is important to ensure a few things so that the device is able to properly detect oxygen levels-
- No colour on the nail- It is advised to remove if you have nail polish on your nail.
- Nails are not long
- Hands not cool
- Blood circulation is not impaired
To Conclude : Our Top 3 Picks Among Online Pulse Oximeters
After going through all the top-selling pulse oximeters and evaluating their pros and cons, we have come to the conclusion that Dr. Trust pulse oximeter is the best option today. It comes with the trust and reliability of the brand along with the best of the features. Although its price is a bit on the higher side, we must understand that good thing comes with a price.
Our second best choice is PX701 pulse oximeter from Newnik. The device has all the features meeting the international standard that you can expect in a high-class pulse oximeter.
Our third pick is SMARTCARE Fingertip Pulse Oximeter, a made in India device. This oximeter has all the features working accurately. If you want a value for your money, go for this pulse oximeter.
Affiliate Disclosure: Some of the links provided in this article are affiliate links. This means, without any additional cost to you we may earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
Image Credits: Being an affiliate partner, we have used images from amazon in this article. The credit for these images goes to amazon.